Thrillers




Fiction with an edge




Wednesday 18 December 2019

Worlds Apart -- the background to the story.

People often ask me where I get the ideas for my stories and I usually say it's my weird, conspiratorial mind playing with the What if? factor of life. 

In the case of Worlds Apart the idea came to me around twenty years ago in the Canary Islands. On our first night at the hotel, whilst I sat at our restaurant table, taking in the sunshine and the view, my wife went off to get her meal from the host of buffet tables at the other end of the crowded room. 

After about ten minutes I looked along through the throng of people and couldn't see her. Another five minutes passed and I stood up from the table, craned my neck again in the direction of the buffet tables - nothing. I sat down and thought ... imagine going to Reception and saying: "I've lost my wife" and the receptionist saying: "But you came to the hotel alone, Mr White".  How would I feel?  Suddenly realising that everything I knew was not as it should be? 

Eventually, my wife re-appeared - plate piled high with all manner of delights and, as she sat, she nodded in the direction of the buffets tables, "Go round the corner they have another room with some delicious sea-food".

I smiled at her and thought I must write that story.    







   

No comments:

Post a Comment